There is a lot of talk in HR and TA at the moment about skills-based hiring, shifting away from focus on years of experience and qualifications.
The opportunities this presents for organisations are significant - greater access to talent and reduced attrition, diversity, reduced time to fill vacancies and reduced hiring costs to name just a few.
It seems like a simple concept with great potential benefits - so what is required to gain success?
- Cultural change and education - how do you get business managers, HR and TA onboard?
- Rethinking workforce planning - Skills based planning must all be considered, impacting definition of jobs and programmes of work
- Revised HR / TA processes - Do your job descriptions, recruitment marketing, assessments, and selection processes enable skills based hiring?
- Effective systems - does your HRIS and ATS allow for skills based hiring?
- Communication and change management - critical to success!
It will be fascinating to see how organisation's tackle this opportunity.